Thursday, June 15, 2017

Fruitful Days

We've had an amazing amount of rain this spring. In April and May it rained most days and it's still raining at times. Overnight we had a thunderstorm and there's more forecast for tonight. So what do we do during long dark rainy days? We bake.

I found a really easy, really good tasting recipe for apple cake. It's in the Heart Association Cookbook, so it's even good for us. I think Rob became addicted to it because we made one every week for two months. I made it so often that I memorized the recipe.
Each evening as we watched hockey, Rob would cut a generous piece for each of us. 
I also made cookies during the wet months. I made several kinds including chocolate chip. Now I'm going to reveal a secret about chocolate chip cookies and I don't want you to yell at me. Promise?
Fudge loves chocolate chip cookies. I can hear you yelling that chocolate is bad for dogs. I know. I only give him the little bits that don't have any chips. Last time I made them, I made two cookies that had no chips and they were designated as Fudge's cookies.  In this house if you pick up a chocolate chip cookie, Fudge appears and glues himself to you. If you sit to enjoy your cookie, he puts his big heavy head in you lap and gives you adoring looks and maybe even a whimper or two. Just try ignoring him.

Last weekend I decided to make some cookies that Fudge could enjoy without causing me to feel guilty. The dough looks pretty strange, doesn't it?
These are blueberry cookies. In my opinion, they aren't quite as good as chocolate chip, but Fudge and all the other fur kids think they are wonderful. They're  quick and easy and smell good because of the almond extract. We'll probably do these again soon.
I heard on the news a couple days ago that this is a banner year for blueberries because of all the rain. A local farmer says it's his best blueberry crop in thirty years. I hope that brings the price down a little.

When I went outside yesterday I noticed that the branches of the plum tree were hanging low. I was curious and walked close to look. Well, it seems we're having our best crop of plums ever, too. The branches are full and the plums are getting pretty big. Too bad they're so sour.
 The birds and squirrels should have a feast on all the fresh fruit this summer.
Spring showers bring more than flowers.

4 comments:

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

So there some good things about loads of rain. I had a dog who lived a long, healthy life, who loved chocolate....which I don't. We'd share a chocolate-vanilla ice block. I ate the vanilla ice cream centre and she always loved the chocolate covering. Our family dog, when I was little loved the cooked chicken, chop, steak bones. Though cautious now, I sometimes think we are too cautious. But the blueberry biscuits look great!

Molly the Airedale said...

Can I please come to your house for an extended visit, Miss Sue? yummmmmmmm

Two French Bulldogs said...

Oh boy! We are moving in
Lily & Edward

Marjie said...

I have a couple of different Heart Association cookbooks; I'll have to look for that apple cake recipe. Thor loved applesauce cake, and I'll bet your pack would, too.